If you're a temporary resident (on a specific visa) who has departed from Australia, you might be able to apply for the early release of your superannuation. This excludes New Zealand citizens.

 You can claim your super if:  At a glance
  •  You were a temporary resident who visited Australia on a temporary visa
  • Your visa has expired or been cancelled, and
  • You have left Australia. 

But if you don't apply within six months after you leave Australia or your temporary visa expires or is cancelled - whichever is the latest - we are required to transfer your money to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) where it will not earn interest. The good news is you can apply online to take your super home.

  • Temporary residents who have left Australia can apply for their super through the ATO or via AMP
  • Withholding tax will be deducted from super payments made to former temporary residents
  • Super that is not claimed within six months of departure or visa expiry will be transferred from the super fund to the ATO.  

How to apply

The payment of a temporary resident's superannuation benefit is called a Departing Australian Superannuation Payment (DASP). This is how the process works from application to payment. 

  1. You lodge an application online on the ATO website.
  2. The ATO will forward your details to AMP. 
  3. We will contact you for further information including your bank details for payment. 
  4. Your benefit can then be released to you. Withholding tax will be automatically deducted.

If you'd prefer to apply for your DASP through AMP you can download a form specific to your product. Or if you have any questions, please contact us at polinfo@amp.com.au or +612 8048 8162 (outside Australia) or 131 267 (within Australia).

Tax rates

Australian superannuation funds are required to withhold tax when making a DASP payment to a former temporary resident.

The withholding tax rates for DASPs outlined by the ATO are:

  • 0% for the tax-free component.
  • 35% for a taxed element of a taxable component.
  • 45% for an untaxed element of a taxable component (public sector funds).
  • 65% on the taxed and untaxed elements for all working holiday makers.

What you need to know

  • These conditions apply to people who have entered Australia on a temporary working visa under the Migration Act 1958 (except visas under subclasses 405 and 410).
  • In order to claim your super you must have left Australia and your temporary visa must have expired or been cancelled.
  • This doesn't apply to New Zealand citizens as they are allowed to return and retire in Australia.
  • This does not apply to people entering Australia on a retirement visa (i.e. sub-class 405 or 410).
  • You can enter your personal details online before leaving Australia and then update them and lodge your DASP application after you've left Australia.

Important information

Products in the AMP Super Fund and the Wealth Personal Superannuation and Pension Fund are issued by N.M. Superannuation Proprietary Limited (N.M. Super) ABN 31 008 428 322 (trustee), which is part of the AMP group (AMP). Before deciding what’s right for you, it’s important to consider your particular circumstances and read the relevant Product Disclosure Statement, Target Market Determination or Terms and Conditions available from AMP at amp.com.au or by calling 131 267. Read AMP’s Financial Services Guide for information about our services, including the fees and other benefits that AMP companies and their representatives may receive in relation to products and services provided to you.

Any advice and information provided is general in nature, hasn’t taken your circumstances into account, and is provided by AWM Services Pty Ltd ABN 15 139 353 496 (AWM Services), which is part of the AMP group (AMP). All information on this website is subject to change without notice.