Usually we can only assist you with requesting a chargeback after you have attempted to get a refund from the merchant and were unsuccessful. If you believe an error or unauthorised transaction has occurred please notify us straight away. You should lodge your dispute within 45 days of the transaction date recorded on your statement, and no later than 90 days. We may not be able to assist you with transactions more than 90 days after the transaction date due to the timeframe set by the applicable scheme rules.

Please ensure that you provide the necessary information for a chargeback request within these time frames, otherwise, it may limit our ability to pursue chargeback rights on your behalf. As a result, you may be liable for the transaction.

What type of transactions can I dispute?

Any errors or omissions appearing on your statement can be investigated. These include:

  • Transactions you believe are incorrect
  • Transactions you believe you did not authorise
  • Transactions you suspect may be fraudulent
  • Duplicated transactions
  • ATMs that dispensed an incorrect amount
  • Refunded goods or services that have not been credited correctly
  • Reoccurring debits and regular repayments that have continued to occur after cancellation of authority

We may not be able to assist you with the following disputes

You will need to contact the store/merchant/biller to resolve the issue.

  • Quality of service by merchants
  • Contract related disputes
  • Instances of buyer's remorse
  • Transactions that relate to a special promotion
  • Billing disputes (BPAY transactions) - except where a BPAY payment is an unauthorised payment, a fraudulent payment or a mistaken payment, BPAY payments are irrevocable.

If you have any queries or require further information on lodging a dispute, please contact us on 13 30 30 (International callers: +61 2 9761 9912).

What is a chargeback?

In some circumstances when you've made a purchase using your Visa debit card, we can dispute a credit transaction for you under the Visa or MasterCard scheme rules, and request a refund from the merchant's financial institution. This process is known as a 'chargeback'. Chargeback rights do not apply to transactions using the Visa debit card at eftpos terminals when you nominate to use the 'savings' or 'cheque' option.

Can I dispute a BPAY payment?

If a BPAY payment is unauthorised, fraudulent or a mistaken payment that has been made from your account, you should notify us immediately and we will commence an investigation to understand the transaction and address the issue. Please also ensure that you check the amount and biller details of your payment as we will not be able to stop a BPAY payment once you have instructed us to do so.

No refunds will be provided through the BPAY Scheme where you have a dispute with the biller about any goods or services you may have acquired from the biller. Any disputes must be resolved with the biller.

What should I do if I don't get the right money out of an ATM?

Note the type of ATM used, the street and suburb of the ATM, and retain any receipts issued by the ATM. You may raise the issue with us by calling 13 30 30, and a customer service officer will be able to assist you over the phone. You may also choose to fill out a Customer Investigation Request form which can be found here (linked), and the investigation will commence once all documents are received.

We will commence an investigation to understand the details of the ATM transaction and provide an outcome within 21 days. If there are delays in processing the dispute, we will communicate this to you within 21 days. We will contact the other bank to investigate the transaction and wait or the bank to confirm the results of the investigation before we are able to advise you of the outcome.


How do I dispute a transaction?

If you don't recognise a transaction or believe it was unauthorised, contact the business/retailer to try and clarify or resolve your issue. If the merchant is unknown, unable to be contacted, or if you cannot come to an agreement within a few days, you should contact us via phone immediately.

If you have an ATM or eftpos related dispute, our Customer Service Officers will be able to assist you with raising your dispute over the phone. If you have a Visa debit transaction dispute, you cannot raise it over the phone and must complete a Customer Investigation Request form and return it along with all required supporting documentation outlined in the form.

What documentation do I need to provide to lodge a dispute investigation?

To enable your query to be actioned as quickly as possible, please ensure that you provide all relevant information and documents when raising your query.

What is the dispute process?

  1. We will request the transaction receipts from the merchant's bank within 7 days of receiving your completed form along with all relevant information and documents.
  2. We will forward any documentation once the merchant provides evidence in relation to the disputed transaction/s.
  3. We will then contact you to advise you we have asked the merchant's bank for documentation.
  4. If it's found that errors were made with your transaction, we will make the appropriate adjustments to your account.
  5. When we advise you of the outcome, we will notify you of the reasons for our decision with reference to any evidence, applicable section in the terms and conditions, and the ePayments Code or card scheme rules.


How long will it take to resolve my dispute?

We will investigate and attempt to resolve your dispute as soon as possible, but in any event, within 21 days for disputes relating to AMP Bank Access Card transactions, and 35 days for AMP Visa Debit Card transactions. If further time is required to complete the investigation, we will advise you in writing and provide a likely resolution date.

In exceptional circumstances where the investigation cannot be completed within 45 days of the lodgement date, we will inform you of the reasons for the delay and provide monthly updates on the progress of the investigation, except when we are waiting for a response we require from you.

How much does it cost to dispute a transaction?

We do not charge you for lodging a dispute.

Who do I return my completed Customer Investigation Request form to?

If you have an ATM or eftpos dispute, you are not required to complete a form and may lodge it over the phone by providing details to one of our Customer Service Officers. Contact us on 13 30 30 or +61 2 9761 9912 if you're calling from outside of Australia. 

If you are required to return a form, you can fax it to (02) 8843 8381, or mail to AMP Bank, Card Transaction Disputes, Locked Bag 5059, PARRAMATTA NSW 2124

Our commitment

What are the Bank's obligations in relation to the ePayments Code?

AMP Bank adheres to the ePayments Code which outlines the circumstances and timeframes during which AMP Bank can dispute a transaction and claim a refund on your behalf.

We are committed to:

  • Claiming a chargeback right where one exists and the cardholder has disputed the transaction within the given time frame.
  • Claiming the chargeback for the most appropriate reason.
  • Not accepting a refusal of a chargeback by a merchant's financial institution unless it is consistent with the Visa Scheme rules.

What can I do if I'm not satisfied with the resolution?

We expect that our procedures will provide a fair resolution to your dispute. If however, the dispute is not found in your favour and you are not satisfied with the final decision, we will inform you of the next steps and advise you how to escalate the matter.

The Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA) is an external dispute resolution body which provides fair and independent financial services complaint resolution that is free to consumers. AFCA can only help you once your issue has been reviewed through AMP’s internal dispute resolution process. Their contact details are:

Australian Financial Complaints Authority, GPO Box 3, MELBOURNE VIC 3001, Australia

Ph:        1800 931 678

Email:    info@afca.org.au

Online:  afca.org.au

What should I do if I notice any suspicious or fraudulent transactions?

Take control of your finances with My AMP

My AMP is your personal online wealth, investment and banking portal, where you can view your AMP and non-AMP accounts in one place and keep on top of your money.

Get the complete picture: View your financial information, investment options and detailed information about your savings, insurance and loans.

Take action: Change your investment settings, access online statements and update your personal details.

Discover new possibilities: Learn more with educational modules, generate personalised reports, and access simulators and calculators to help you plan your financial future.

Register for My AMP

If you've already registered for My AMP and can't remember your account number, check your AMP statement or call us on 1300 300 465 Monday to Friday 8:30am – 7pm (AEST) or email us on ampeservices@amp.com.au

Important information

Information including interest rates is correct as at 1 November 2018 and subject to change without notice. Fees and Charges apply. Terms and Conditions and Account Access and Operating Conditions available on request. Any advice is general and has been prepared without considering your objectives, financial situation or needs, you should consider its appropriateness to your circumstances before acting on it. Consider Terms and Conditions and Account Access and Operating Conditions before deciding to acquire or continue to hold an AMP Bank product. Product issuer is AMP Bank Limited ABN 15 081 596 009, AFSL No. 234517, Australian Credit Licence 234517. Contact us on 13 30 30 or at info@ampbanking.com.au