Calling all students (well, almost all students)
The AMP University Challenge is a unique opportunity to combine your technical knowledge with your communication skills in a real-world scenario.
The purpose of the AMP University Challenge is to showcase how exciting and fulfilling this industry can be, and to help you experience first-hand what it takes to be successful as a financial adviser. In other words, this assists you to see if this is the right career for you, and if it is, you can dive right in when you complete your studies.
Will you be there? Will you demonstrate your problem-solving and financial planning prowess? Judged by a panel of industry experts, this is your chance to shine.
The AMP University Challenge is a competition open to all university students currently studying either part time or full time at an Australian university or an equivalent Australian tertiary institution, except for those employed by the AMP Group of Companies or that are representatives of any financial services entity*.
Following the tremendous success of last year's AMP University Challenge, the competition is again offered over two semesters.
First semester students:
- Your case study will be sent to you on Monday, 4th March 2019.
- You'll have until Monday, 29th April 2019 to submit your discussion papers.
Second semester students:
- Your case study will be sent to you on Friday, 2nd August 2019.
- You'll have until Friday, 27th September 2019 to submit your discussion papers.
2019 AMP University Challenge timeline
What's involved in the AMP University Challenge?
The competition consists of two main components:
Step 1: Submit a discussion paperShow more
Prepare a discussion paper that provides scoped financial advice on a hypothetical case study. The top five discussion papers will be selected by our panel of experts, and those five Entries will advance through to the Finals day.
Step 2: Finals dayShow more
Once our judges have reviewed all the discussion papers, the top five Entries will be invited to the Finals day held at AMP's Circular Quay office in Sydney on Friday, 25th October 2019. You'll feel like VIPs as you soak in the stunning views of Sydney Harbour that are just a short walk away.
The Finals day will involve:
- networking with AMP business leaders, industry professionals, practicing financial advisers and leading academics
- an intellectually stimulating professional development workshop including feedback on your client engagement and presentation skills
- a fun and interactive technical quiz
- lunch with the judges and coaches
- a presentation of your team's strategic recommendations to a client (it won't be a real client, but you'll need to act as if it is!)
- an incredible cocktail function in the evening overlooking the breathtaking Sydney Harbour, where the winners of the AMP University Challenge will be announced.
The judging panel will be comprised of a mix of practising financial advisers and industry representatives.
Technical quiz (20%)
This fun and interactive quiz will consist of multiple-choice questions in different financial planning categories assessed across various levels of difficulty. Some will be easy, but others will put your skills to the test. The quiz will account for 20% of all available marks to be allocated on the Finals day. If entering as a team you will need to nominate one member to participate in this assessment.
Each team of finalists will present their discussion paper as well as a short industry related presentation and this will contribute the remaining 80% of available marks. Our coaches at AMP, who have a wealth of experience in financial planning, will act as the clients. Your role will be to deliver the findings of your discussion paper to these ‘clients’ as well as address the judges on your views regarding an industry related topic (which will be advised pre-Finals day).