AMP ran a competition on Facebook asking our readers for their top tips on how they express their love without expense or extravagance. It turns out, splashing lots of cash may not be the secret to showing someone special you care about them on Valentine’s Day.
Here are our readers’ top ideas for a budget-friendly Valentine’s Day that rates time and effort above the price tag.
Rather than dining at an expensive restaurant, try:
- a picnic in the park, or even at home, with your favourite foods
- a home-cooked dinner, perhaps featuring some heart-shaped or pink-themed foods
- making your partner breakfast in bed
- fish and chips on the beach.
Instead of buying a gift or flowers, try:
- cut flowers from your own garden
- handmade gifts and cards
- making a scrapbook or album full of memories of your relationship
- a homemade voucher book, redeemable for massages or chores such as mowing the lawn.
Out and about
Instead of an over-the-top night out, try:
- an evening walk on the beach or a nature trail to watch the sunset
- enjoying something cheap and cultural such as a trip to a museum, gallery or drive-in cinema
- revisiting special places like where you met, had your first date or were married
- celebrating the day after to save on flowers and make getting a restaurant booking easier.
Hallmark does a great trade in Valentine’s cards, but instead you could try:
- handwritten love notes left around the house
- a personalised and original poem
- recording your love story as an audio book
- exchanging love letters.
More great ideas
For many of our readers, time was rated as the best gift they could give their partner – whether that was quality time spent together or time spent preparing a special surprise. For more inspiration consider:
- spending a technology-free night together at home
- setting up a glamping experience in your backyard
- doing a chore your partner usually does - before they get the chance to do it
- taking a trip down memory lane by watching your wedding DVD (or video) together
How we can help
However you plan to show your love this Valentine’s Day, if doing it within a budget is important, we can help you take control of your money.
Check out our how to budget page or budget planner calculator for help in setting up a budget, and the award-winning AMP Bett3r Account which makes managing your budget easier with its pay, save and spend sub-accounts.
Happy Valentine’s Day!
Whether it’s the war on waste, human rights abuses, animal rights or climate change that is your issue of choice (or perhaps you’re concerned about all of them), more of us are taking an interest in making decisions with our money that reflect our values.