See how you can cash in on government co-contributions

If you’ve made an after-tax contribution to your super fund, you might be eligible for a co-contribution of up to $500 from the government.

Did you know the government may add up to $500 to your super fund, if you're a low to middle-income earner who has made an after-tax contribution to your super?

If you’d like to know more, we explain how government co-contributions work, how to find out if you’re eligible and what you need to do to receive your co-contribution.

What is a co-contribution?

The Superannuation Co-Contribution Scheme is a government initiative that aims to assist low to middle-income earners save for their retirement.

What this means is depending on the amount of income you earn each year, the government may add to your super balance when you make a voluntary after-tax contribution.

Am I eligible for a co-contribution?

To be eligible for government co-contributions, generally you must: 

  • make a personal after-tax contribution to your super fund 
  • lodge a tax return
  • have a total income that’s less than $52,697 for the 2018-19 financial year  
  • receive 10% or more of your income from eligible employment and/or running a business
  • be under age 71 at the end of the financial year that you’re making the contribution
  • have a super balance less than $1.6 million as at 30 June 2018
  • not have exceeded the $100,000 annual after-tax super contributions limit
  • not have held a temporary visa at any time during the financial year (unless you are a New Zealand citizen, or it was a prescribed visa).

What do I need to do to get it?

You don’t need to apply for the super co-contribution, but you will need to ensure that you have provided your tax file number to your super fund.

Your super fund cannot accept after-tax contributions, or receive co-contributions on your behalf, if you have not provided your tax file number.

You will also need to lodge an income tax return. The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) will then use the information provided in your tax return and the contribution information from your super fund to work out your eligibility.

If you are eligible, the ATO will automatically calculate the appropriate amount that’s owing to you and will typically deposit this into the super fund which you have made the contribution.

Also, remember if you’re aged 65 or over at the time of making a personal after-tax contribution, you must first satisfy a work test, whereby you must've been gainfully employed during the financial year for at least 40 hours over a period of no more than 30 consecutive days.

Meanwhile, if you’ve recently retired and have closed your super account, it may be possible to have your co-contribution paid directly to you.

How much will the co-contribution be?

If your total income is equal to or less than $37,697 and you make personal after-tax contributions of $1,000 to your super fund, you’ll receive the maximum co-contribution of $500.

If your total income is between $37,697 and $52,697, your maximum entitlement will reduce progressively as your income rises.

Your total income for this purpose includes your assessable income, reportable employer super contributions and any reportable fringe benefits (which typically includes non-cash benefits provided to you by your employer, such as a company car or lease vehicle), less any amounts you are entitled to claim as a tax deduction because of carrying on a business.

If your income is equal to or greater than the higher income threshold ($52,697), you will not receive any co-contribution.

Also note, the income thresholds mentioned above are indexed each year in line with increases in average weekly earnings and may change in future financial years.

Meanwhile, if you have claimed a tax deduction for a personal super contribution, this contribution will not entitle you to a co-contribution.

Where can I go for help?

When it comes to whether you’re eligible for a co-contribution, working out your exact total income may be a bit tricky depending on your circumstances, so you may want to speak to your adviser.

If you don’t have a financial adviser but would like a bit more information, call us on 131 267 or use our find an adviser search engine to locate one near you.

To find out about other ways you can add to your super, check out our Super contributions info page.

Find your lost super

When you change jobs or move, your super fund can lose contact with you. Let us help you find your super, in a few simple steps.

Start now

Are your details up to date?

Update your details using our online form. 

Update details now

Want to keep up to date with the latest news, tips and insights?

Sign up now

Recommended articles

Important information

Show more

This information is provided by AMP Life Limited. It is general information only and hasn’t taken your circumstances into account. It’s important to consider your own circumstances and read the relevant Product Disclosure Statement before deciding what’s right for you.  Read our Financial Services Guide for information about our services, including the fees and other benefits that AMP companies and their representatives may receive in relation to products and services provided to you. All information on this website is subject to change without notice. Although the information is from sources considered reliable, AMP does not guarantee that it is accurate or complete. You should not rely upon it and should seek qualified advice before making any financial decision. Except where liability under any statute cannot be excluded, AMP does not accept any liability (whether under contract, tort or otherwise) for any resulting loss or damage of the reader or any other person.