Uni fees and you

University can be a doorway to your future, but there are a few practical things to think about before you step through.

Congratulations! After years of hard work at high school or beyond you’re finally off to uni.

By now, you may have received an early or first round offer, or you may still be waiting to see what your future holds in the subsequent offer rounds.

When listing your course preferences, you’ve probably considered your career aspirations, the reputation of the course and the location, and ranking of the university – but have you considered the costs? Or given any thought to how – or when – you might pay for them?

How much does university cost?

The total cost of an undergraduate degree in Australia depends on several factors, such as whether you’re studying at a public or private university, what you’re studying and how many years the degree takes.

The government subsidises some degrees, so what you’ll actually pay depends on whether you’re studying under a commonwealth supported place or a full-fee place.

Commonwealth supported places

Commonwealth supported places (CSPs) are subsidised by the Federal Government and are available to all Australian citizens studying an undergraduate degree at a public university.

Rather than paying the total degree cost you pay a student contribution, with the government paying the rest of the degree cost directly to the uni.1

Your student contribution depends on what you study, with study areas divided into three bands. The universities themselves then set the student contribution rate for each band - these should be listed on their websites.2

The figures below are the maximum amounts per band for 2017, based on a full-time enrolment of eight units per year.

Band 1: up to $6,349 per year for courses such as humanities, behavioural science, social studies, clinical psychology, foreign languages, visual and performing arts, education and nursing.

Band 2: up to $9,050 per year for courses such as mathematics, statistics, computing, built environment, health, engineering, science, surveying and agriculture.

Band 3: up to $10,596 per year for courses such as law, medicine, dentistry, veterinary science, accounting, administration, economics and commerce.3

Full-fee places

These places aren’t subsidised by the government, so the student pays the full degree cost. They generally apply to international students, those studying at private institutions or those completing postgraduate study. Fees vary between courses and are set by the individual institutions.4

How will you pay for it?

These figures probably look daunting, but thankfully, you can defer your fees with a government loan.

CSP students can defer paying for their fees by accessing the HECS-HELP loan scheme, while full-fee students who are Australian citizens can access the FEE-HELP loan scheme.5

While interest free, these loans are subject to indexation, so the amount you owe is adjusted annually to keep up with changes in the cost of living.6 In recent years this has been between a 1-3% increase per year.7

No limits or fees apply to borrowing under the HECS-HELP scheme; however, limits do apply to the FEE-HELP program. For 2017, the limit is $100,879 for most students, while those studying medicine, dentistry and veterinary science have a limit of $126,101. There is also a loan fee of 25% applied to FEE-HELP loans.8

Not all private education providers can offer FEE-HELP loans. Find out here which institutions are approved private higher education providers.

When will you need to pay it back?

Your HECS-HELP or FEE-HELP loan doesn’t need to begin to be repaid until your earnings meet the minimum repayment threshold, which is currently set at $54,869, and varies each year.9

Once you are earning above the minimum repayment threshold, payments are taken out of your before-tax salary. The percentage you pay is between 4% and 8% of your salary, increasing with how much you earn.10

Other costs to consider

Aside from tuition, you’ll need to pay for textbooks and other study materials, as well as transport, at a minimum. But depending on which university you attend, you may also be faced with moving away from home and paying for rent, food and bills.

If you’re lucky, your parents might help with some of these costs, or you may need to get a part-time job.

You may also be eligible for a government payment, such as youth allowance if you’re under 25 or Austudy for 25 year olds and over. Though your eligibility for each of these depends on your personal assets and income, and in some cases, your partner’s or parent’s.

We’re here to help

However you choose to pay your university costs, it’s a good idea to do a budget. Our budget planner calculator can help you work out how much you need to save and what you can spend so you can still have fun.

Our new Bett3r Account helps you to budget and set money aside effortlessly, with pay, save and spend accounts.  

Budget planner calculator

Use our Budget planner calculator to assess your current financial position and how much you may be able to invest. 

Start budgeting today

Discover a new way of banking

Imagine a bank account that helps you keep on track and tells you what's safe to spend.

Learn more

Want to win an iPhone 7?

Subscribe to News&insights for a chance to win one of three iPhone 7 handsets. 

Subscribe now

Want to keep up to date with the latest news?

Sign up to receive the latest news, tips and insights direct to your inbox.

Sign up now

Recommended articles

Important information

Show more

© AMP Life Limited. This provides general information and hasn’t taken your circumstances into account. It’s important to consider your particular circumstances before deciding what’s right for you. Although the information is from sources considered reliable, AMP does not guarantee that it is accurate or complete. You should not rely upon it and should seek qualified advice before making any investment decision. Except where liability under any statute cannot be excluded, AMP does not accept any liability (whether under contract, tort or otherwise) for any resulting loss or damage of the reader or any other person.