They’ve dressed us, shaped us and given us advice—some we’ve asked for and some we haven’t. They’ve taught us skills and life lessons, and probably most importantly that we’re stronger than we might think.
To celebrate the exceptional mother figures in our lives ahead of Mother’s Day, we asked our readers to share with us some of the pieces of advice, words of wisdom or life skills that have been passed on and not forgotten.
The motherly advice you held on to:
- Be present, life is not a dress rehearsal. Go out, enjoy yourself, be silly, have fun and chase your dreams.
- Stay positive, no matter what, my mum always had a smile and something good to say.
- Take time for yourself. A happy mum encourages happy children.
- Share. One of the best skills I learnt from my mum is to share what we have, no matter how much or how little we have.
- Life skills. My mum taught me how to manage a monthly budget, how to live debt free, how to cook, how to clean, but most of all how to love.
- Slow down. I learnt to slow down and enjoy the little things. Time goes too fast to have regrets.
- Own your happiness. She said you were lovely long before he loved you. You will be lovely after that too. Don’t let anyone dictate your happiness.
- Confidence. I learned to let go of doubt and to believe in my own abilities.
- Appreciate. Make the most of what you have – improvise.
- Empathy. My mum taught me to have empathy for others no matter what the situation.
- Spread your wings. Travel and experience what the world has to offer, but know there’s no place like home.
- Honesty. When you are right, shut up. When you are wrong, admit it.
- Don’t sweat the small stuff and choose your battles. Life's too short for unnecessary stress.
We received hundreds of responses to our Mother’s Day competition and are grateful to all of our readers for sharing their life lessons.
Meanwhile, to all of you who might be a remarkable mother figure in somebody’s life, the AMP News&insights team wishes you a very Happy Mother’s Day.
Check out these money-saving tips for raising and entertaining children.