Once you retire you might be wondering how you ever had time to work! But, assuming your health is in check, there are some interesting pursuits you might want to consider:
- Travel to an exotic destination – Join around 700,0001 other Aussie travellers who depart our shores annually. For instance, step outside your comfort zone to trek along the ‘El Camino’ in Spain, drive a sports car along the Amalfi Coast in Italy, or cruise among the frozen peaks in Alaska.
- Indulge your love of music – Learn to play a musical instrument or join a choir. Contact your local music school or conservatorium or have private tuition.
- Do something different to your usual line of work – Do something you’ve always wanted to, such as starting a small business, doing some charity work or joining a company board. Learn more about becoming a seniorpreneur.
- Educate yourself – Upgrade your computer skills, learn another language (handy for travelling) or get that qualification you’ve always wanted, such as teaching English as a second language. If you want to teach overseas have a look at CELTA.
- Take up a sport - If you’re feeling a bit sportier why not try out competition golf, a few roll-ups of social lawn bowls or learn the tactics of how to play chess by downloading the Chess app from iTunes.
Not quite retired? Check if you’re on track
Whatever stage you’re at, you might want to review whether you have the funds to do all you really want to in retirement.
Check out our What’s my number calculator to see if you have enough money to live the lifestyle you’re hoping for.
Doing what’s right for you
Just remember everyone’s financial situation and goals are different. What’s right for your family, friends or colleagues may not be right for you.
So if you’d like advice on how to save more to make the most of your retirement, speak to a financial adviser or call us on 131 267.
We’re here to help.
1ABS Retirement and retirement intentions, 6238.0, July 2012 to June 2013
If you’re thinking about downsizing your home to fund your retirement, find out what options are available.