An easy way to think about setting goals is to imagine you’re planning a holiday. You decide on where you want to go, how you’re going to get there and what you’re going to do when you arrive. Then when you’re still glowing from the feeling of having ‘been there and done that’, you’ll want to start planning your next adventure.
But just like organising a holiday, you’ll need to take steps to make sure you reach your final destination:
- Develop SMART goals (specific, measurable, achievable, relevant and timely) to help you improve your mental health, finances, relationships and even productivity at work1.
- Do your research – Work out how much your goal is going to cost. Use our savings calculator to work out how to get there or learn more about managing your money.
- Keep a record of your progress – Put milestone dates in your calendar to make sure you’re on track and review how you’re going.
- Do an annual review – Check that you achieved your goals, set new ones or cover off any that you overlooked last year.
Some flight-centred goals for 2016
- Get your documents together – Just like you’ll need your visa, passport and tickets, it’s important to make sure you’ve got control of your super, search for lost super and consolidate your super accounts. This can save you money on fees and give you that base to boost your super.
- Get ready for take-off – Make this the year you get your credit card debt in order. Reduce your balance by paying off more than the minimum amount monthly to avoid interest charges. Find our more about paying off debt.
- Put your life jacket on – Protect what’s important to you by checking what insurance cover you already have and figure out what insurance you might need.
- Keep fuelled – Eat, drink and exercise properly to keep your mind, body and soul free to meet life’s daily curve balls. Start yoga classes, go for a walk or just listen to some chill-out or lounge music if you can’t get away from your desk.
- Get ready for turbulence – Don’t max out your card on unwanted presents that will be resold on eBay by Boxing Day. Why not give a donation to a needy family in an underprivileged community instead?
- Keep your technology turned on – Get all your statements and bills delivered online and keep them all in one folder – very handy at tax time. Lose the paper and save the planet for our kids and theirs!
- Land safely – Seek financial advice if you want to make sure you’re on the right track with your goals.
Plan your itinerary now
‘Life is a journey, not a destination’ said author Ralph Waldo Emerson. So make sure you enjoy setting your goals, achieving them and planning for your next adventure.
But if you need some help along the way, speak with your financial adviser or call us on 131 267 so we can put you in touch with a financial adviser to guide you on the right flight path in 2016.
Money may make the world go ’round, but the barter economy is still alive and well 100,000 years on