If you've been thinking about cutting back your work hours, there are things to consider before taking the leap.
Did you know almost one-third of Aussie workers work part-time and that Australia has one of the highest rates of part-time employment in the world1?
Perhaps you’re trying to juggle work with study, taking care of older family members or children, want greater work-life balance, or are looking to reduce your work days ahead of retirement. Whatever your reason, moving to part-time work does come with considerations.
Before you get excited about a shorter work week, you need to think about whether it’s the right decision for you. Here are some things to consider, as well as some potential traps to avoid.
Some of the benefits of part-time work
- Your new lifestyle. You’ll have more time, but don’t waste it by just adding extra chores to your list. Plan how you’ll manage your free time, so you can do the things you enjoy.
- An ability to improve your mental and physical wellbeing. With less time spent travelling to work, you’ll have more time to devote to your health and fitness.
- More time to be social. You can take more time out to spend with family, friend and pets, whether that’s over a nice meal or trip to the park.
- Opportunity to continue boosting your retirement funds. If you’re planning to retire soon you’ll still be earning an income, which means you could continue to add to your super.
What else do I need to consider?
- Your finances and whether you can afford to earn less. Work out your budget and calculate whether your new income will stack up against your ongoing expenses, as well as any unexpected purchases.
- That you won’t fall into the trap of working less days but longer hours. If you’re moving from five days a week to three, you need to make sure your workload fits into your new timeframe.
- Whether earning less could impact your retirement savings. Consider whether working fewer hours will still allow you to enjoy the lifestyle you want in your retirement.
What type of saver are you?08 May 2020 | Manage my money Almost twice as many Australians think saving for an emergency or a rainy day is more important than putting cash away for a holiday. Find out more with AMP. Read more
How to celebrate Valentine’s Day without spending a fortune07 February 2020 | Manage my money Valentine’s Day is a time to celebrate your love, not a time to go into debt. Here are tips to enjoy romantic Valentine’s Day without spending a fortune. Read more
How to save money at university26 February 2020 | Manage my money If making your money go further is high on your agenda at uni, try these money saving and money making tips from AMP. Find out how to save money at university today. Read more
This information is provided by AMP Life Limited ABN 84 079 300 379 (AMP Life). It is general information only and hasn’t taken your circumstances into account. It’s important to consider your particular circumstances and the relevant Product Disclosure Statement or Terms and Conditions, available by calling 13 30 30, before deciding what’s right for you. Read our Financial Services Guide for information about our services, including the fees and other benefits that AMP companies and their representatives may receive in relation to products and services provided to you.
All information on this website is subject to change without notice. Although the information is from sources considered reliable, AMP does not guarantee that it is accurate or complete. You should not rely upon it and should seek professional advice before making any financial decision. Except where liability under any statute cannot be excluded, AMP does not accept any liability for any resulting loss or damage of the reader or any other person.
The information on this page was current on the date the page was published. As a result of changes to the business from time to time, including changes to product, product issuer, services, trust, trustees and other entities, the information may no longer be current. For up to date information, we refer you to the relevant product disclosure statement and product updates.