Hosted by AMP Australia’s Chief Client Officer, Ant Dureau, this webinar delivered by AMP Chief Economist Shane Oliver provides perspectives on the Australian property market, both now and into the future. Particular focus is given to the impact of COVID-19 on the economy and subsequently the local Australian property market.
“If you want to understand what’s going on in the property market, you have to understand the dynamic of a big hit to economic activity.”
Property, like any investment, is exposed to both positive and negative market factors, some of which Shane expands on in this webinar:
- Record low mortgage rates
- Regulatory easing, including removal of the responsible lending obligations (RLOs) under the National Consumer Credit Protection Act 2009 (Cth)1
- Government housing support measures
- It's still expensive (affordability is poor, and household debt is high)
- Oversupply of units in some areas
- Hit to household incomes from a long tail of high unemployment
- Collapse in immigration = less demand (particularly in Sydney and Melbourne)
- Weak rental market in some cities
While every care has been taken in the preparation of this video, AMP Capital Investors Limited (ABN 59 001 777 591, AFSL 232497) and AMP Capital Funds Management Limited (ABN 15 159 557 721, AFSL 426455) makes no representations or warranties as to the accuracy or completeness of any statement in it including, without limitation, any forecasts. Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future performance. This video has been prepared for the purpose of providing general information, without taking account of any particular investor’s objectives, financial situation or needs. An investor should, before making any investment decisions, consider the appropriateness of the information in this article, and seek professional advice, having regard to the investor’s objectives, financial situation and needs. This article is solely for the use of the party to whom it is provided.