AMP is a wealth management company which offers solutions and services across financial advice, investment management, banking, superannuation, self-managed superannuation funds (SMSFs), life insurance, retirement income and investing.
We have a long history in helping our customers manage their finances and achieve their goals.
AMP was founded 170 years ago on a simple yet bold idea; that everyone should have the power and ability to control his or her life. We call that owning a better tomorrow.
Established in Australia, our reach now spans around the world, where we use our expertise to advise clients and customers in Asia, the Middle East, Europe, the United Kingdom and North America. We now operate in 11 countries.
Helping people and businesses identify and achieve goals has always been a part of what we do, and we are here to help customers explore, plan, track and realise their goals.
What we do
Australians and New Zealanders know us best for superannuation, life insurance, investments and advice, but we’re growing fast in retail banking in Australia, and internationally with strong partnerships in China and Japan and investments around the world.
- Financial advice
- Retail superannuation
- Corporate superannuation
- Self-managed superannuation funds (SMSFs)
- Investment management
- Partner with over 55,000 Australian companies, including some of Australia's leading blue-chip companies, to provide their employees with corporate superannuation offerings
- Over 110,000 AMP Bank customers
- Investment management business with over 480 clients in Australia and New Zealand, and over 290 international clients in areas including Hong Kong, China, Japan, the UK, Europe, the Middle East and the US
- Over 3.5 million customers in Australia and New Zealand
- Approximately 740,000 shareholders
Beginning in 1849 as the Australian Mutual Provident Society, managing life insurance, AMP has evolved over almost 170 years to be a publicly listed, global wealth manager.
Today, we help millions of people in our home markets of Australia and New Zealand, and around the world, to create and protect their wealth.
- 1849 – The Australian Mutual Provident Society opens for business
- 1860 – Benjamin Short joins AMP as its first agent
- 1869 – The National Mutual Life Association of Australasia opens for business
- 1899 – James Tuscon Thompson joins National Mutual as its first agent
- 1962 – The iconic AMP building in Sydney's Circular Quay is opened by then Prime Minister, Robert Menzies
- 1995 – National Mutual demutualises and lists on the Australian Stock Exchange
- 1998 – AMP demutualises and lists on the Australian Stock Exchange. AMP Bank opens for business and the AMP Foundation is formed
- 2000 – AMP plays a major part in the first Olympics of the new century, supporting the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games, the Paralympic Games and the Olympic Torch Relay
- 2009 – AMP and China Life Group form strategic partnership
- 2011 – AMP and AXA Asia Pacific merge. AMP and Mitsubishi UFJ Trust and Banking form strategic partnership
- 2017 – AMP and United Capital form strategic partnership